Police want to talk to standoff suspect about Russell’s death | News
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Kansas City police have confirmed that the suspect involved in a shootout with police on Thursday was wanted for questioning in the death of Michelle Russell. Her body was found in a field in Independence last month.
The shootout with police happened at a home in the 500-block of North Lawndale. Officers were trying to serve a Platte County warrant to 26-year-old Joel Bravard for failure to appear in court on a charge of receiving stolen property.
When officers tried to initiate contact, gunfire was exchanged, and one officer was hit in the leg. Bravard was shot too, and has life-threatening injuries.
If he survives his injuries, police want to ask him questions about Russell, who was shot at a Motel 6 in the 8200 block of Prairie View Road in November.
On Thursday night, her loved ones gathered for a vigil. Many, including Michelle’s mother had heard that the shootout suspect may be connected to Michelle’s death.
“A detective did call and said they had him. They had the person that we thought did it.”Becky Russell said. “It’s not going to bring her back and we miss her and love her and it’s rough.”
Family member lit candles, prayed, and remembered Michelle Russell as loving, helpful and kind- hearted. Her mother said her last kind act was trying to break up a fight at the motel where she was shot. Bravard has not yet been charged in connection to Thursday’s shootout or Russell’s death, in fact her death has not yet been classified has a homicide.
Upcoming Events near Independence
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Kansas City community invited to interfaith service at Jewish Comm. Ctr. to honor victims
- Joe;s Weather Blog: Severe Weather And Snow
- KCMO Police Chief: 12 ‘highway shootings’ now linked, says ‘Tips will solve this’
- Missouri leaders want to work to bring Super Bowl to KC
- Kansas City police investigate 13 highway shootings, some connected
- Grandmothers Against Gun Violence gains members after Sunday’s shootings outside Jewish centers
- Woman calls police after she feels threatened by car on 71 Hwy
- Joe’s Weather Blog: 80s To Snow Again?
- School district turns 100, celebrates with time capsule burials
- Joe’s Weather Blog: Rain For Many…Some Not